Friday I went out and bought three different types of mouse traps: glue traps, a plastic type trap and the good 'ol fashion wood traps. Twelve traps all together. Twelve ways the little intruder could get into some trouble if he wasn't careful. Joe was up hunting again so I did what every woman does when they're by themselves in a house with hopefully just ONE mouse: set up all the traps in every spot where you think the little mouse could possibly go, even if there really isn't a rhyme or reason for doing so.
Saturday came...nothing.
Sunday came...nothing.
I was beginning to wonder if the mouse was a) so scared that it ran far away from our house on its own as fast as it could or b) it was getting a little too smart and finding ways around the traps.
Then Monday morning came.
I originally had a glue trap on our counter right next to the stove. There is a little gap between the wall and the stove that we thought our previous house guest a couple years ago was coming up and making its way to our toaster. True story. You can ask me the details if you're interested.
Joe didn't think this was the best idea because we cook near there and all of that sanitation type stuff which I totally get. So this morning when I went to feed Stella I noticed the glue trap was moved. I figured Joe moved it before work (which would have been fine) and then I went over to take a closer look.
Lo and behold our little house mouse found its way onto the glue trap and was stuck. I called Joe right away to tell him the good news...
"Get a box, put it in there, take it outside and then you're going to have to step on it".
"I'm pretty sure it's dead. It doesn't look like it's breathing."
"No Sarah. It's still alive. You have to kill it. It's the humane thing to do."
"Can't I just leave it out there?"
"No."
"Okay."
So I grabbed an old cereal box and went to grab the glue trap. As soon as I moved it the mouse started squealing, trying to pull itself off. A small part of me felt bad but at the same time, this is my house and I don't invite mice to come live with me. End of story.
I'll save you the details and just tell you, that little mouse went up to mouse heaven today.
Boy do I hope that was the only mouse making its home here.
No comments:
Post a Comment