Monday, October 1, 2012

From one thing to the next...

The past week had been nothing but non stop, this week looks a little more calm and then it picks right back up again. Fortunately, I am surviving and I'm going to share my schedule with you just because...
 
Monday: Orientation at the new job for 4 hours and then orientation for my OB clinical at school for 4 hours.
Tuesday: Class for 4 hours and then computer orientation at the NICU for a few hours.
Wednesday: Class and then another 6 hours of orientation for my clinical.
Thursday: I had to be at the hospital at 6am until about 1pm.
Friday: Same thing...up early and working hard.
Saturday: First training day for the new job from 7am-3:30.
and finally
Sunday: Another full day of training.
 
Any free time I had, I was either taking Stella for a walk or of course, studying.
 
I really want to tell you about my clinical at St. John's Hospital on the OB floor though. I never really considered OB as a nursing career path but I really liked taking care of the moms and new babies. We were each assigned to a patient although the nurses I had were really good at taking me along with them to all their patients.
 
My assigned patient was a first time mom and dad who had a new baby girl! She was adorable and the parents were awesome. We had to do assessments on the mom and baby, making sure everything was going good during the recovery phase for the mom and making sure baby was adjusting well to life outside the womb. There was also a lot of teaching involved including danger signs to look for once they got home, breatfeeding (which I know nothing about so the nurse was a great help to me), how to take care of the baby, how many dirty diapers they should have, etc. You could have called me half nurse/half teacher last week.
 
On Friday, this is really exciting, I was able to go to a C-section!! The baby was breech and the mom was already too far along, so they ended up having to go into surgery. The whole process was incredible to watch and it also made me want to NEVER have a c-section but I got to see a lot of cool things. Plus, a healthy baby boy was the end result! And I'll be honest, I teared up a bit. It was so amazing to witness.
 
So long story short, maybe I'll be a postpartum/labor and delievery nurse?!
 
The new job is going well! I'm learning a lot and trying to remember everything I need to do for admits, discharges, transports and transfers. I think it's going to be a great experience for me!
 
Well, I better get ready for class but I just wanted to give a little update since I didn't post AT ALL last week. Sorry about that.
 
Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you rock! I would love to attend a delivary and section! Fun! Hope the NICU is treating you well. Let me know if you need a day off. I like to pick up here and there. Hope they are nice to you in training. It is the hardest part. ;). Miss you!

    ReplyDelete