Last night, I was in a baking mood after studying dosage calculations so I headed to the kitchen.
I decided to make Whole Wheat, Oatmeal and Raisin Muffins which I made for my family Christmas weekend this year. They are delicious and healthy:) The perfect combination when you've had a piece of cheesecake every night after dinner since Sunday.
Here's what you'll need...
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons untoasted wheat germ (You can also substitute toasted wheat germ which is what I did since I couldn't find untoasted.)
2 tablespoons wheat bran
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1/3 chopped pitted dates (I added the dates the first time but left them out this time around because I don't really care for them that much.)
1/3 raisins
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup boiling water
Cooking Spray
1. Lightly spoon whole wheat flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl; stirring with a whisk.
Stir in quick-cooking oats, dates, raisins and cranberries.
2. Make a well in the center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, vanilla and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Stir in boiling water. Let batter stand 15 minutes. Adding boiling water to the batter and allowing it to stand 15 minutes before baking allows the hearty oats, wheat germ and bran to soak up the liquid for a more tender muffin.
3. Preheat oven to 375. My helper in the kitchen:)
4. Spoon batter evenly into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pan immediately and place on a wire rack. PS...they smelled really good when I pulled them out of the oven!
Enjoy:)
No comments:
Post a Comment