FINALLY! The last post of our trip! I know, I know, you're probably sick of hearing about our last adventure but I can't start a story and not finish it. :)
Okay, so Friday morning we left our campsite along the river and headed to Sequoia National Park. We knew it was suppose to be a little colder than normal (low 60's when it's usually in the mid 70's) but we didn't expect to just watch the temp drop as we climbed in elevation and then see snow start falling from the sky. Yes, SNOW in California. We stopped in at the Visitor Center and asked questions about the campgrounds and decided to go down into King's Canyon (2000 feet lower than where we were) because we thought 1) it wouldn't be snowing and 2) would be a little warmer to sleep in.
Once we made it to the campground and ended up turning around. It was about an hours drive to the campground from the Visitor Center and figured it'd be another hour to get to where the main attractions are and we really didn't want to do that much driving. On our way back we took some pictures along the way...
Once we got back up to top we checked into our campground and headed to the Grant Grove. These trees are huge!
After we visited the grove we decided to head down to the main guy, the General Sherman. Unfortunately we were probably 20 minutes away and the snow was making us a little uncomfortable. We had a little Ford Fiesta and didn't want to risk being out on the curvy mountain roads. So we headed back to the campground and went to bed, at 6pm. Joe and I were both a little under the weather with colds. :(
And this was our campground when we woke up 12 hours later...
Oh yeah, 2-3 inches of snow. We threw everything in the car and got out of there. I have never been so cold while sleeping and it will definitely be a night to remember. We were originally going to spend another night in Sequoia but mother nature had other plans for us. Those plans led us to San Jose where we got a hotel and once we checked in at 3pm I did not leave the bed. I actually spent the night with a fever and fell asleep at 7:30pm. Joe was so sweet and took good care of me.
We spent our last full day driving down to Monterey and taking Highway 1 back up to San Francisco. It was such a great way to end the trip.
We did the 17 Mile Drive near Pebble Beach
I'm such an ocean girl...
One last view of the ocean...next time my friend!
We spent our last night near the hotel and flew out early Memorial Day. We knew it was a good trip because we were ready to come home and I was so excited to see our little Stella!! We saw a lot, had a lot of little hiccups and it was a total blast.
No comments:
Post a Comment