Friday, September 23, 2011

Favorite Fall Recipe

Last Saturday my friend Kelly and I had our second annual "Girl's Only" day in Stillwater. We started with our traditional stop at Aamondt's Apple Farm and picked up our fair share of the best apples in Minnesota - Honeycrisp. Geez louise they are delicious. We split a ten pound bag for $13 a piece and went on a picking spree plus stowing a few away in our purses. Hey! Don't judge! The bag they give you is not as big as you think and it's not like we filled our purses...we just threw a couple extra in. After our apple picking fest, we ventured out into downtown Stillwater to do a little shopping. We were twins that day - both got apples, a scarf and picked up some cute aprons for when we bake away!

Every fall I like to make a big batch of applesauce with the Honeycrisp apples we pick. It's super easy and sure is tasty. All you need are apples, sugar and cinnamon and voila! you have homemade applesauce goodness:) Here's how I do it...

Step 1: Start off with your choice of apple. It's up to you on how many you want to use and all depends on if you want to make a big batch or small batch.


Step 2: Peel your apples. It doesn't have to be the perfect peel unless you like perfect. (Weirdo! JK)


Step 3: Chop the apples up into chunks, place in pot and put a little bit of water in with the apples. You have to eyeball how much water you need. Since I had a lot of apples I used a little bit more water than I would if half of this pot was filled.


Step 4: I cooked them over medium head and kept stirring them every once in a while. They eventually start to break down as they cook and get soft.


Step 5: I like my applesauce chunky so when it starts to get mushy but there are still some chunks of apple in there, that is when I stop. If you like chunkless applesauce...keep cooking.


Step 6: Add sugar and cinnamon to taste. Be careful trying the applesauce, it will be hot!


Step 7: Place in pretty white bowl (optional) and serve.


ENJOY!
What are your favorite fall recipes?

1 comment:

  1. Slow cookers work great too for applesauce. My favorite fall recipe is pumpkin bread....someday fall will arrive in Colorado. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not this year, maybe in 10 years. When it does, I will have my pumpkin bread recipe waiting.

    ReplyDelete