Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mother Goose

Last night I had my "Mother Goose" training at the hospital. For those of you wondering what a Mother Goose is, it's another volunteer position in the NICU where I'll actually be rocking the babies, talking with them and providing that human touch contact which is extremely important to their growth and development. I'll be in the NICU from 8:30-10:30pm Monday nights doing what I have been wanting to do since I first applied to be a volunteer. It's a popular position hence my late night shift, however, it just increases my chances of holding a little one every night I'm there because parents and visitors will be few and far between the later into the night it gets.

After talking with a RN in our training about what we can experience, how to scrub in, what is expected of us and any questions that we might have had, we toured the nursery and saw every baby in the unit. My heart felt very heavy at times because some of those little ones were no bigger than the length of my wrist to the inside of my elbow. They were so tiny and hooked up to several machines, IV lines running in every direction, fighting to stay alive. 

I am so excited and thankful that I will have the opportunity to volunteer my time in this way. I believe I get to start next week and hope that I'll have many happy ending stories to tuck in my memory.

1 comment:

  1. I am crazy jealous! I am so proud of you for doing it! What a great way to spend time doing what you love!

    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete