Ok. Maybe the title of today's post is a bit overly dramatic but I can assure you there is good reasoning for it. Yesterday I received a text from my CNA classmate Keith who started the nursing program at school a few weeks ago. Yes, the lucky dog got randomly picked to start this fall instead of in January like me. The text read, "Get ready for the ride of a lifetime, 22 chapters of reading for the first week of classes". Soon after he called and had nothing great to say about his first couple of weeks. Thank you for the postive, er encouraging, no.... death sentence phone call.
He told me the professors expected that you already read the 22 chapters before coming to the first day of class even though they posted the material on a Friday and class started that Monday. Seriously, who reads before class has actually begun!? I guess you can bet I will be now that I have the heads up! ha. He said everyone who worked during the week has now cut back their hours to maybe a weekend here and there or quit because most of there time goes to school. He studies more than 60 hours a week and the one night he was able to go to bed early, he got up because he felt as if he should study more.
Although he has class Tuesday - Fridays with clinicals being on Tuesday and Wednesday, he finds himself on his day off, Monday, at the clinical site gathering any patient information that he'll need so he can prepare himself for the clinicals. The tests are hard, you constantly have your book open, he has cried about ten times already (today is only his 14th day of class) and you can kiss you life goodbye.
Wow.
I asked him if he had anything positive to say... nope.
Guess I'll be enjoying these next few months of 'living' before I start my nursing program. I have to say though, I am still really excited for it. I know it's going to be a lot of work and I'm sure I'll cry more than a handful of times but I really feel at peace with the whole thing, like it's what I'm suppose to do. God, please don't let me go crazy. Amen.
Aren't you glad you got married BEFORE you started this program instead of planning DURING?
ReplyDeleteOh YES! I would have for sure lost it. I came close enough as it was:) haha
ReplyDeleteYou will do great Sarah. Med school is really intense as well- and as someone who has come out (almost) on the other side... you will do it- and you will be glad you did. Yes there will be tears, sleepless nights, and trips to target in which you are so excited to just simply be in public. But enjoy it. You are pursuing your dreams. You are doing what few truly do.
ReplyDeleteI love you. I am so proud of you.
You will do excellent! You can always ask me for help anytime :) It is a gruelling program but very worth it, you will learn so much. Love ya sister!
ReplyDelete