Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I Am: A Mother Goose

Last night was my first night of many, many more as a Mother Goose in the NICU. I loved every single minute of my two hour shift and if it wasn't for being 10:30pm when my shift ended, I would have stayed in that moment another two hours. From start to finish I held the sweetest baby boy, Joey, in my arms and watched him dream in his sleep, stretch, yawn and even smile. My neck was sore from watching him the whole time (not in a creepy way but in a loving, volunteer way) and because I just love babies.

Even though I have no idea who his parents are and I most likely will never see him again because he could be back home with his family the next time I'm in or I could be in a different nursery, I have this strange feeling that I was some how a part of his life. I can't really explain it and know it might even sound a little silly but when you sit there with him in your arms for two hours and you look at his face, his ears, mouth, hands...you feel like you know him. I soaked it all in just as if he were a part of my own family. I prayed for him, that he would get really strong and finally be able to spend his nights in his parents arms instead of a volunteer's arms and hoped that some day he would chase every dream he had and succeed in his life. I can still see his sweet face in my mind.

I am already excited for next Monday and hope that I will be able to continue my role as a Mother Goose for a long time. It's nice to sit back and hold a little one who is just starting out their life in this world and makes you thankful for everything you have and realize what is truly important. **FYI: Being a Mother Goose does not help cure baby fever. I asked Joe if we could have a baby and he said "No"!

No comments:

Post a Comment