While Joe was working long days again this weekend, I thought I'd surprise him with a good meal on Saturday when he got home. I even set the table which was a big step up from our usual eating grounds: the coffee table. At Joe's request I made White Chicken Chili which my friend Kelly gave me the recipe for. Mark it down as another dinner success! Joe LOVED it.
First, saute the chicken, garlic powder and onion in oil. (***I thought I had garlic powder, turns out I didn't. So I minced up a couple garlic gloves instead.)
Once chicken is cooked thoroughly, add the beans, chilies, broth and seasoning.
I let it cook for about five minutes and then I poured everything into a crock pot so I could just "set it and forget it" (haha oh Ron Popeil, you slay me with your slogan for the portable rotisserie cooker!!) The crock pot may be an unnecessary step but then I didn't have to slave over the stove since I didn't know exactly when Joe would be home. Right before serving, I added the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. You want to wait until the very end to do this or else it will curdle. Gross.
WARNING: This chili is HOT and SPICY! If you know me, you know that I do not like pepper on my food because it's too much of a kick for me, but Joe who loves hot, spicy food even commented on the extreme flavor of it. He said that it was more than he's used to but ate it anyway. Unfortunately even though it was super good, I could not eat much of it. I think I had more break and milk for dinner than actual chili. Next time I make this, I'll be adding less spice to it so maybe I can enjoy more of it as well.
Here's what you need to make it!
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cans (15.5 ounces each) great northern beans rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
2 cans (4 ounces each) copped green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup (8 ounce) sour cream
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
In large saucepan, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil. Add beans, broth, chilies and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
And Enjoy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment