Once we upgraded to our new bed, we knew we didn't want to be exposed to the neighbors as we slept for too long so the hunt for blinds started. Joe wanted blackout shades and once I become a nurse and have to work at night and sleep during the day, I figured this would be the way to go so I hopped on the blackout trolley with him.
Throughout the upstairs bedrooms, Joe installed black blackout shades from IKEA when he first moved in but they don't fit our window measurements exactly and look a little out of place and not so 'design chic'. Also, black will not go with our new room color palette so I went to Google to see if I could find white blackout shades to go with our white trim and white dresser. And Google delievered.
Lucky for me, JCPenny was having a 50% off sale on window treatments and I came across their Mirage Blackout Shades, Cordless Cellular blinds which came in white! Joe was on the fence about white blackout shades (white and blackout don't seem to go together) but after reading many reviews, he told me to go for it. We ordered one 36x46" and one 32x64", originally $140 and $120 respectively, for a whopping total with tax for $139.89!!! I found a free shipping code as well so shipping was free! Total savings: $130.02!! Overall, $139 for two blinds is still a good chunk of change but we figured it'd be worth it if we could get some shut eye during the day.
Okay...enough of all the words. What I'm trying to say is that they came last week and now we have blinds in our room!! Before Joe could install them, I had to sand the trim and paint since it was looking a little rough. Those oh so not fancy blackout shades seemed to have melted to the trim leaving this...
I used the same paint as our dresser on the trim - it's not the same white as the original paint trim so I had to do the whole window. Eventually I'll get around to repainting the trim around our closet and base boards so everything will be the same crispy white.
When the paint dried, Joe got busy installing them while I documented the process of course. Again, I do not know the ins and outs of my camera (it is one of my goals to actually learn how to use all of its features) so I apologize in advance for the crazy green color when I didn't use the flash.
Yep! It fits!
Being the engineer that he is, looking at how the blind works. He thought it was cool.
Handy Man Power Tool Grunting - also icky weird green wall that really isn't that color in person!
Installing the brackets...
Clipping blinds into place...
And Ta-Da!!
One more to go:)
They fit our windows perfectly and keep out most of the light. Where the blind and edge of the window meet there is probably a 1/4 of an inch gap or less because the blind isn't exactly the same as the window size but it's pretty darn close. I have plans to make floor to ceiling curtains to add more "blackoutness" but have yet to remotely start that project. Our "Master Bedroom" project is making progress and the list keeps growing. I do not understand this since the room isn't getting any bigger.
The "To Do" List
PaintNew BedInstall BlindsRefinish DresserPaint Window TrimNew Closet Hardware- Make Curtains
- Paint Closet Trim/Base Trim
- Get Nightstands
- Add Closet Storage
- Find Beside Lighting
- Add Mirror
- Add Photos/Art
- Get Hamper
- Add Rug?
And the bedroom makeover continues. I unfortunately do not have any other projects in the works at the moment but my goal is to have the bedroom completely done before I start my nursing program in January. I feel like I will need a place where I can relax when I'm losing my mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment