Thursday, October 27, 2011

I cannot think of a creative title for this post...

During my first attempt at canning I found myself in the middle of a couple more projects that I didn't intend on starting but there I was elbow deep in them. Joe and I still have a ton of Target Gift cards leftover from the wedding so I finally picked up ourselves a hamper for our new room, a normal ironing board (our college sized ironing board days are OVER) and new shower curtain rings.

This is what we had. Cheap plastic white rings that didn't really go with our orb color shower rod.


So I picked up these bad boys instead.


Aren't they fancy?


I also spent all day cleaning the mason jars from the wedding. I needed some for the applesauce so I figured I'd just throw the rest and get them cleaned and washed up. They still had melted candle wax in the bottom of the jars that I couldn't get out easily so off to the freezer they went. I did watch Joe open the freezer (I didn't tell him I had stuffed it silly with mason jars) and decide it wasn't worth taking them all out to see what food we had in the bottom. Haha


I let them sit in there for about 30-45 minutes before taking them out. I'm not sure if the cold shrinks the wax but it worked really well and the wax popped right out. Before throwing them in the dishwasher I let them warm up a bit so they didn't crack in the hot water and I cut off all the twine around the neck of the jars too. 


Candle wax anyone?


Then I loaded the dishwasher and off they went. They came out sparkling clean!


I had about nine dozen mason jars to do and now I can get finally get rid of them. I may have found a new hobby in canning but I don't need this many! Anyone want quart or half gallon sized mason jars? Maybe I should start thinking about cleaning out the wine bottles we have too. The wedding leftovers still lurk around every corner in our house.

No comments:

Post a Comment