Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My first attempt at canning: applesauce

Sunday I played the role of, Sarah, the homemaker. And I loved it! I don't know what it is lately but I just want to learn how to sew, knit, do crafty things, cook, bake, have a garden and tons more. Who has time for work?! I have learn to quilt!! Jk:) Joe said I can't be a full-time stay at home wife just yet. He says I have some responsibilities I have to take care of first and I suppose he is partially right. Guess I'll have to learn to be a multitasking homemaker wife who is in nursing school and working hard to bring home the bacon.

Now back to Sunday. I still had a bag full of apples from my parent's trees so I decided to make more applesauce and try my hand at canning so I could enjoy it throughout the winter season. Thankfully, my first experience in canning turned out to be a success. Thank you Lindsey for teaching me how to do it!


As for the applesauce, make it how you normally make it. I make my applesauce like this but I'm sure everyone does too more or less. As you can see I had to use two pots because of all the apples I had left! Which took a good hour and a half, maybe more to peel and get into the pots. Ugh.




After it's made (and still hot) spoon the applesauce into a steralized ball jar leaving a one to two inch gap of "head space". Don't fill the jars up to the top of the rim! Lindsey had a great tip that I used as well. She steralizes her jars by running them through the dishwasher as she's making everything and then dries them on high heat. Worked like a charm.


While you are filling your jars, the flat part of the top needs to be boiled for about ten minutes. This makes the rubber part along the flat part gummy. I also threw in the ring part of the top to steralize that as well.


After boiling, wipe the tops of the jars clean and place the flat part on the jar.


Then finish with the ring part of the lid and tighten them up or use a man with muscles for extra man power:)


Next, place the jars in a HUGE pot of boiling water. I would recommend starting this before you even peel the first apple. It takes a long time for the water to start boiling. Make sure that the water is at least a half  inch above the lids of the jars and boil for 20 minutes. As you can tell by my picture, I didn't quite get the head start I should have when it came to boiling the water (I can assure you it got a lot better) so I kept the jars in there longer than the 20 mintues just to make sure. Will this do anything to the applesauce? I don't really know but so far we're good.


After your boiling time is up, take the jars out of the boiling water and leave them to sit and cool. While they are cooling you will hear the "pop" of the flat part of the lid sealing. And I love what Lindsey said to do next, "when you hear each pop you MUST say thank you because that means that the jar has successfully sealed." I said my thank you's. :)


Check the seals the next day and make sure they successfully sealed. You can do this by pushing down on the center of the lid. They should not pop back up when you push on them. If any are unsealed then stick those in the fridge and use them as though you didn't process it. As for the rest you can take off the ring part to use again (I left mine on) and store the cans of applesauce for up to ONE WHOLE YEAR!!!! Eventually when you open the can to eat you may see a black sediment type material on the top - this is COMPLETELY normal and does NOT mean that the can is bad.

Now I can cross of "canning applesauce" off my homemaker to do list. Or I can add it on to my "must do each fall" list. Either way, all four of my jars sealed with a pop! I must learn to can more things!!

1 comment:

  1. Yayyy I am so glad that it worked and that you enjoyed the process. For some reason I really enjoy canning- must be a primal feeling but its as though I have this satisfaction that my family will now make it through the winter without starving... LOL
    Good for you sarah!!!!
    Oh and PS it sounds like we are so the same- about 3 years ago the home making bug hit me and I have done so much cooking, gardening, and canning that its crazy! and guess what else I did???? I made a baby quilt! LOL!
    Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete