Friday, October 28, 2011

Sew Me Some More!

For the past few months I have been wanting to get a sewing machine. Yes, it's just another indication that I am turning into a homemaker and I love it! Joe kept asking me when I would actually have the time to use it with school coming up but I ignored his legitimate concern and kept looking for one. Even if I just dabbled in little projects here and there I felt it would be worth it. And I'm not going to be in school forever (I hope) so eventually I'll really get into it and then ask for a sewing/craft room in the house. JK.

I knew I didn't want anything overly expensive and you can find beginner basic machines for around $100 that would work for any of the projects I'll ever want to do. I told Joe I could make all his clothes from now on and he said, "not a chance". Rightfully so. I haven't used a sewing machine since our seventh or eighth grade home ec class.

I went back and forth between a Brother XL 2600I and a Brother XL 3750 for a long time. The XL 2600I was only around $84 and the XL 3750 hovered around $120. The only difference (that I could tell) between the two were that the XL 3750 had about 10 more stitch options and they advertised it for your every day sewing needs as well as for quilting. I read many reviews on both of them and many reviewers who had the 2600I said for their quilting projects the machine worked just fine. I plan on using our table runners from the wedding one day to make a quilt, so that's why I was paying attention to the "quilting" features on the machines. Some machines can't handle the thickness of some quilting material so if I ever get really into quilting I wanted to make sure the machine I picked could handle it.

I eventually decided I was going to get the XL 2600I and figured it would do everything I needed it to do. Although they didn't advertise it for quilting, I knew the quilts I'll eventually make won't need a fancy machine and they won't be two inches thick so why not save $40 and get the basic machine.

Then, I went onto Amazon and the price of the XL 3750 dropped down to $101! Whaaat?! Twenty bucks cheaper and I would get more stitch options and the quilting perks of it too? SOLD. I ordered that baby up in two minutes and anxiously waited for it to arrive on my porch. Which it did two days earlier than it was suppose to!!

I am excited! I finally took it out of the box last night!




It's first breath out of the box. (Yes, I know I am weird and I am ok with that.)


Look at those stitches! I have no idea how/why to use any of them but can't wait to learn!




And it even came with a handy cover for it.


My list of sewing projects keeps getting longer:
  • curtains for our room and all the other bedrooms
  • roman curtains for the kitchen
  • christmas tree skirt
  • christmas stockings
  • quilt made from runners
Oh yes. This is going to be good. As Joe likes to put things, it's an "investment in our future". I'll be DIYing all over the place and trying to save all sorts of money on our home improvement projects. Wow, I'm making it sound like this sewing machine will replace everything in the world. I just hope I'm good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment