Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Art of Christmas Shopping

There are some things I definitely take after my Mom and the older I get, the more I use the expression, "I'm turning into my Mom!". Thankfully, she's an amazing woman so I think I'll be okay. We can make ourselves laugh over the weirdest things and will most likely be the only two people in the room who find it funny. She's a homebody and would rather stay home than go anywhere on any given night. I am the same way, although I don't think Joe appreciates this on Friday and Saturday nights. And she doesn't like dealing with crowds. Now, I can handle crowds if I'm at a concert to see a favorite band but other than that...get me in and get me out! Enter: Christmas Shopping.

Why I wait until well into December to even start my Christmas shopping is beyond me and every year I tell myself it's going to be different. Last night I made my way to the mall to pick up a few things on my list and the parking lot was overflowing with cars which only meant the shoppers were inside setting up an obstacle course for me.


My plan as always, is to get in and get out. If I don't see something that catches my eye in one store, I leave and head into the next store. I don't waste time dilly-dallying all over the place.

The Art of Christmas Shopping to me means:

1. Prepare your Christmas list BEFORE you head out shopping. I knew what I wanted to get some people and had ideas for others. If something extra catches my eye, great! but I don't just stroll along waiting for the perfect gift to come to mind.

2. Also, if you have any coupons laying around the house grab them! Nothing like saving money during the holidays. Everything I bought last night (except for one thing) I either had a coupon for or it was on sale. Score!

3. Walk fast. I think I'm a fast walker in general but when I'm on a mission look out fellow shoppers. I don't like to walk slowly behind you because you are talking with your friend about what happened at the party last Friday and how you thought he really liked you. I mean all the signs were there right? I find I like to shop by myself because then I can get what I need and move on. Plus, the mall is not open all night people. I have other things to do before work the next day.

4. Plan your route. Start at one end of the mall and work your way towards the other end. I like to make one clean sweep of the place and not run back and forth in every direction possible. If you miss a store on your way, you always the walk back to the doors you first entered to pop in.

5. Remember that it's not all about finding the perfect gift, although that does make watching the person open their gift pretty awesome. Christmas is not about the presents rather it's about spending time with family and friends...and of course the big guy, Jesus. I may sound like a crabbyy holiday shopper but it's really not as bad as I make it seem. I was able to finish a lot of people on my list but I still have a few more to go. Now I have Joe to help me divide the list and conquer!

Yep, I'll probably always wait to start my Christmas shopping until December and I'll probably never find the "perfect" gift for everyone, every year. At least I have a good plan for dealing with the crowds of people...get in, dodge and weave with Christmas list in hand, and get out. Happy Shopping Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment